Monday, August 30, 2010
So we were thinking about our Newsletter. I proposed to work on a portion of the newsletter that would point wives in the direction of the blogosphere and social networking sites that will offer up "positive" help in dealing with deployment and other things milspouse friendly. I would also like to highlight our spouses own blogs with a "blog roll" and highlight maybe one spouse blog entry a newsletter or maybe more than one if we have a lot of wives blogging. What I would also like to do is from time to time introduce the wives to some of your blogs, of course I would never do that without asking your permission in advance but I read some great stuff and I want to share.
I think a lot of times some of the newsletters I have seen are really out of touch with what is going on with the military spouse, and social networking in general. I want to highlight the positive aspect of this because I know there are a lot of blogs out there that are less than supportive. A lot of our spouses will be dealing with their very first combat deployment, as most of you know it never gets easier but the first one is hard, not having any idea what to expect. I think I have a great bunch of blog friends and I think you could all help so much.
So wish me luck with my new project...and I look forward to introducing the ladies from our battalion to some of you!
Saturday, August 28, 2010
Friday, August 27, 2010
1. What secret indulgence do you act on while your spouse is away? (from Devil Dog Darling) Hmm..not sure if it is an indulgence but I go on nutrisystem. Ya, I know it isn't indulgent in taste but it's expensive and when hubs is gone I can do it without it breaking our bank and since this time it will just be me it will be even cheaper. It's a great way for me to get back to eating right and the food isn't horrible, and it really makes me feel better. I am a "happy" eater, and when hubs is gone I am not too worried about eating all the time.When he is home..It's a food fest, we love to eat out and go out on dates and we just enjoy life. When he is gone I just use that time to get back in shape. I have actually started to do that regardless because it's not healthy living the way I have the last 8 years. I have always exercised and taken care of myself that way but not always have I made the right food choices.
2. If you were a spice, what would you be? (from New Girl On Post) I would say vanilla, the only reason for that is because I LOVE all things vanilla, candles, perfumes and ice cream.
3. Where do you go for support when your significant other is deployed? (from Texas Meets Washington)
I have a few best friends that I rely on tons ...one is a military spouse and one works for the State Department. We have been through thick and thin with one another and we are always there for one another. I also have a few great twitter friends that I know I can count on no matter what. Our last deployment was tough and without those ladies and a gentleman...I don't know what I would have done. It was also sharing homecomings with the ladies as each one of our spouses returned home.
4. What is the oldest thing you own? (from A Troop's Girl) I have an initial ring my mother gave me when I was 11 years old. I still wear it every day. And I have only had to have it resized once! It is literally a part of my body; I don't know what I would do without it. It's rose gold and it's just a very sentimental piece of jewelry that I love.
5. How did you vision your future pre-military? (from Daddy's Duty) Well growing up around the military my whole life I had a pretty good idea what life would be like. I didn't know I would get to travel the world too.*thank you MSG Duty* and really who would have predicted 9/11 and our lives changing in a way we could never have planned for. As Marines you deploy during peace time as well, and that is hard but there is no comparison as to when your loved one deploys to war. So even though we had been through the separations I never thought it would be so my hubs would go fight in a war. My mother had such reservations about us girls marrying Marines, since she was a young war widow. But she passed before 9/11 so she had no idea that we would know what it felt like.
Capt. Borland reciting the Oath.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
I am so sorry for not spending more time with you lately. I have just been so busy with all the new changes in my life. I promise you I am not seeing any other blogs. Well ok, maybe that isn't completely honest, I have been reading others blogs, I know I am sorry....please forgive me. But I have needed to put some space between us for a little bit so I could come back to you a better "me". I am coming around, soon I promise. I won't be long...thanks for being patient.
Friday, August 20, 2010
Hmm…I wouldn’t want to be a fugitive, that would mean leaving my family, hate to be a party pooper but there isn’t one thing in the world worth that.
2. How long do you think you will be a military family? (from Julie the Army Wife)
We will always be a military family, Once a Marine, Always a Marine. I am a Marine Brat, Marine Wife and soon to be a Marine mom so I guess I am in it for the long haul..hubs has 5 years before he can even retire and I don’t think he will do only 20.
3. What’s your favorite recipe? (from Keep Calm and Soldier On)
It’s in the yellow pages under, Restaurant Reservations…sorry I don’t cook well.
4. What would you want your last five words to be when you leave this life? (from My Goal is Simple)
It’s been a wonderful ride.
5. Where do you hope to retire? (from Pennies from Heaven)
We are thinking of joining the State Department and travel the world some more. Honestly we can’t think of one place we would want to be forever.
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
OK I am rambling, back to the question at hand, ...how do I go from being a hands on mom for the last 18 years, to a hands off mom of a college freshman? Obviously I need to get back to me, get back to things that I can dedicate time to that I couldn't because I was being taxi mom, JROTC mom, all around there for you any time of the day mom. I worked my sons whole life. I was laid off the end of his Jr year and it was a blessing since my hubs was getting ready to deploy and I took it as an opportunity to spend some time with my son before he left home for college. I admit, I let myself go a bit. I haven't worked out as hard as I used to, I gained weight, I just plain made it all about him. I need to get back to me, I need to shift all those energy's. That's how I am going to get through this. I wouldn't change one thing about the last 2 years, well one thing maybe but that's a whole different blog post but the last 2 years giving my son my complete attention was wonderful. I am not going through this alone, it's the three of us and like always we will see each other through it. I decided I am not going to blog about this subject for awhile, not because I don't want to share but because I need to find things to blog about that aren't a "poor me" feel sorry for me subject matter. My son is doing what he should be, we are proud of him and he is going to have the time of my life and that is something to celebrate, not wallow in. I am turning this page, and even though I can not promise I won't shed a tear every now and then I am going to turn this ship around and sail it towards a more positive attitude.
Thank you to everyone who has been with me through this, and will continue to support me. Life is good, and I am a lucky woman.
Sunday, August 15, 2010
We just left our son in his dorm suite. As you can see it is really nice. His suite mates are great kids as far as I can tell and I met one of the boys moms and she was super nice. I am doing OK but I will see him tomorrow so my lack of crying my eyes out at this moment is delayed. So I will see how it goes tomorrow. He seemed really excited so that really helped. OK I am exhausted. Its been a looong day.
Saturday, August 14, 2010
Friday, August 13, 2010
1.What is ONE thing you’d like civilians to understand about being a military family? I would just like them to ask me some questions so I could tell them. I hate when people assume things about our life, or compare their husbands business trip to my husbands deployment. Or our "free" medical care, I like to tell them we have no free medical care, our medical is paid for with blood and sweat and is the most costly on the planet.
2.What is your favorite mistake? Well I have a few, but I could never call them mistakes because they are the greatest loves of my life but came to me unplanned ....
3.What indulgence could you give up for a year? Shoes, purses
4.If you could be a winged animal, what would you be? Penguin because they mate for life and the male penguin is kind of awesome..
5.What is one question you’d like to see asked in a future MFF? What do you think of woman that wear their husbands rank and can you tell a story of if and when you encountered it?
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Sunday, August 8, 2010
Friday, August 6, 2010
1.What is something you wished you’d learned to do earlier in life? To get my education. I really don't have huge regrets though because every step I made led me to where I am in life at this very moment.
2.What is your biggest pet peeve with the military?I would have to say when you owe them money they can check you next paycheck but when they owe you money it takes FOREVER.
3. What tourist attraction near you have you never seen? A lot of them since we just got here a month ago.
4.What are you avoiding doing right now? Not a thing, I am just relaxing with the hubs and son.
5. Wine, beer or liquor?
Liquor for sure, loved wine when I lived in Spain because I could get the best wine at the best price. Now if I am going to drink it is usually something + vodka..
Monday, August 2, 2010
This weekend my husband finally went out and purchased himself a new truck, I am so happy he finally did because honestly, the guy never does anything strictly for himself and this is something he has been talking about doing for a long time and he wanted a nice truck, you know all the bells and whistles and well he got one! I kind of had to strong arm him into getting it but its done.
On another note, our son is leaving for college in 2 weeks and I haven't really had a second to sit with this and let it sink in, I think if I do I might break down and I really want to keep it together for him, it will break his heart if he sees me sad and thinks he is the cause of it. We spent some time last week together at Universal Studios and we had the best day, it was worth more to me than diamonds and gold or anything in the world, just a day with him to myself. His dad spent the day with him yesterday, they went out and played with their guns at the range..not my kind of fun but I know they had a blast.
I really just wanted to check in and let you all know a little about what has been going on. Your blogs have been great as usual, I try to keep up a few times a week to see what is going on with everyone, I know everyone is busy with getting kids ready to go back to school and doing their own PCS'ing. Ah..gotta love the summer.
Sunday, August 1, 2010
I feel bad I haven't given credit to Wife Of A Sailor for the Milspouse Friday Fill in..I just thought everyone was doing it and took it for granted everyone knew...let me correct that and say thank you to her for starting this for us all.
1. What is your spouse’s best feature?
That he cares about those around him, that he honestly wants us to be happy and do what makes us feel our best. He is incredibly supportive and understanding and I am not the easiest person to get along with at times. I love that he is close to his family and cares so deeply for us all.
2. Mild, Medium or Hot sauce?
Hot, even though it is painful I do love the hot.
3. What is the worst uniform you had to wear for a job?
I worked at Hardees, enough said.
4. You have invisible powers… where is the first place you would go?
I am not sure but great question.
5. What’s left on your “to do” list for this summer?
To make the most of the last 2 weeks with our son before he heads off to college. I know that leaving him at that college may be the single hardest thing I have ever done in my life so far. Yesterday he said it will be ok because he will be home on the weekends and it broke my heart a bit. Didn’t he realize 5 hours away is not coming home every weekend?? I think I may be taking some trips up to see him on the weekends.