THe Harting Family

THe Harting Family

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Did I Mention I Have a Son?

I think I may have mentioned a time or two that I have a son (LOL). I think I also may have mentioned he is a Plank Owner at Arizona State in the Reserve Officer Training Corps (LOL) and I think I may have even mentioned briefly he is a Marine Option Midshipmen. Of course I have!! Anyhow, for all of you who aren't bored to death with my ramblings about our son, here is the picture that was recently taken of the ASU ROTC Plank Owners. If anyone doesn't know what a Plank Owner is here is a brief description:

A "plank owner" (or plankowner) is an individual who was a member of the crew of a ship when that ship was placed in commission. Originally, this term applied only to crew members that were present at the ship's first commissioning. Today, however, plank owner is often applied to members of newly commissioned units, new military bases and recommissioning crews as well.(Wikipedia)

We are so proud of our son, of course. He wanted to go to Arizona State University specifically to be a part of this new ROTC Unit. Recently he was named a Platoon Sgt. at the unit so we think he made the right choice for himself.

Well I just wanted to share this with all my readers who have been with me from the beginning.
I am headed up to ASU for family weekend tomorrow. My hubs can't go since he is in the field but that just means we get to get back up on Columbus Day!!
I think I am finally gaining some footing here, not sure on the job front since I can't seem to even get an interview. I have heard rumors of some shenanigans going on with hiring practices here that I am hoping are just that but I am starting to believe they are slightly true. I will get back to you all when I do some digging. Anyhow hope you are all having a great day!

4 comments:

ines said...

I can totally spot your son in the picture, so serious :)

I hope things turn around for you in the job area. are you looking on and off base?

USMCWIFE said...

Thanks Ines..ya I actually didn't see him at first but I did after a minute. No I haven't looked off base yet but I may have to start. I am really discouraged on base. I haven't even gotten an interview so I guess we'll have to see what happens. I will get really serious after the holidays. I have been crazy bored with hubs in the field so I can imagine it will get worse when he deploys. Anyhow hope all is going with you thanks for the nice comments:)

ines said...

TAG, you're it! Check out my blog :)

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I hope you have a good time up there for family weekend! I'm feelin ya on the hiring situation. The ONE interview I managed to get here at the MCBH was for the MCX and she accused me of being a racist since I'm White, From Alabama, and have a southern accent. :(